The company plans several new product development initiatives:
- Dell EMC 'Project Nautilus': Software that enables the ingestion and querying of data streams from IoT gateways in real time. Data can subsequently be archived to file or object storage for deeper advanced analytics;
- 'Project Fire': a hyper converged platform part of the VMware Pulse family of IoT solutions that includes simplified management, local compute, storage and IoT applications such as real-time analytics. 'Project Fire' enables businesses to roll-out IoT use cases faster and have consistent infrastructure software from edge to core to cloud;
- RSA 'Project IRIS': Currently under development in RSA Labs, Iris extends the Security Analytics capability to provide threat visibility and monitoring right out to the edge;
- Disruptive technologies like processor accelerators will increase the velocity of analytics closer to the edge. Collaboration with industry leaders like VMware, Intel and NVIDIA and the Dell Technologies Capital investment in Graphcore reflect opportunities to optimize servers for AI, machine learning and deep learning performance;
- Project 'Worldwide Herd': for performing analytics on geographically dispersed data – increasingly important to enable deep learning on datasets that cannot be moved for reasons of size, privacy and regulatory concern.
New IoT services initiatives include:
- IoT Vision Workshop – identifies and prioritizes high-value business use cases for IoT data – essentially how and where to deploy IoT analytics that drive business;
- IoT Technology Advisory – develops the overall IoT architecture and roadmap for implementation.
The venture arm of Dell Technologies, Dell Technologies Capital, is partnering closely with the new IoT division to support its strategic agenda. According to the company, through its investments in promising startups and founders, Dell Technologies Capital "provides a valuable link to the external innovation ecosystem," helping to accelerate the development and deployment of new IoT, AI, and machine learning technologies.