Making AI a general purpose technology
Huawei's AI portfolio covers all deployment scenarios, including public cloud, private cloud, edge computing, IoT industry devices, and consumer devices. The portfolio includes the Ascend IP and chip series, chip enablement layer CANN, training and inference framework MindSpore, and application enablement platform called ModelArts.
Huawei defines AI as a new general purpose technology, like railroads and electricity in the 19th century, and cars, computers, and the Internet in the 20th century. The company believes that AI will be used in almost every sector of the economy.
According to Xu, AI is still in its early stages of development, and there are a number of gaps to close before AI can become a true general purpose technology. Huawei's AI strategy is designed to bridge these gaps and speed up adoption on a global scale. Specifically, Huawei wants to drive change in ten areas:
- Provide stronger computing power to increase the speed of complex model training from days and months to minutes – even seconds.
- Provide more affordable and abundant computing power. Right now, computing power is both costly and scarce, which limits AI development.
- Offer an all-scenario AI portfolio, meeting the different needs of businesses while ensuring that user privacy is well protected. This portfolio will allow AI to be deployed in any scenario, not just public cloud.
- Invest in basic AI algorithms. Algorithms of the future should be data-efficient, meaning they can deliver the same results with less data. They should also be energy-efficient, producing the same results with less computing power and less energy.
- Use MindSpore and ModelArts to help automate AI development, reducing reliance on human effort.
- Continue to improve model algorithms to produce industrial-grade AI that performs well in the real world, not just in tests.
- Develop a real-time, closed-loop system for model updates, making sure that enterprise AI applications continue to operate in their most optimal state.
- Maximize the value of AI by driving synergy with other technologies like cloud, IoT, edge computing, blockchain, big data, and databases.
- With a one-stop development platform of the full-stack AI portfolio, help AI become a basic skill for all application developers and ICT workers. Today only highly-skilled experts can work with AI.
- Invest more in an open AI ecosystem and build the next generation of AI talent to meet the growing demand for people with AI capabilities.